Wonton Food, the world's largest fortune-cookie manufacturer, is removing romantic messages from its cookies after complaints from parents. Fortunes such as "One who admires you greatly is hidden before your eyes," will henceforth be replaced with less steamy sentiments such as, "You make every day special." The New York company said it would make sure its fortunes "don't upset a single person."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week