Flipper the kitten was born with a twisted spine, leaving her hind legs so badly crooked that she could only drag them behind her. She was slated to be put down until a group of high school students learned about her disability. The Blitz Robotic Club of Conifer High School, Colo., designed an ingenious wheeled harness to help Flipper walk. Against all odds, the kitten is on the mend — and no longer at risk of termination. "There's been significant improvement," said veterinarian H.C. Gurney. "And that supposedly doesn't happen."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week