When Anthony Brasfield and his girlfriend released a dozen heart-shaped balloons over Florida's Dania Beach, Brasfield was probably hoping his whimsical gesture might win him a kiss. Instead, he ended up getting arrested. After being spotted by a Florida High Patrol trooper, Brasfield was charged under the Florida Air and Water Pollution Control Act with a third-degree felony for "polluting to harm humans, animals, plants, etc."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
Subscribe to the Week