On Feb. 22, Sarah Darling dumped the contents of her change purse into Billy Ray Harris' extended cup. Unfortunately, the Kansas City woman had stored her diamond ring in the change purse earlier that day, and it ended up in the homeless man's cup, too. The next day, a worried Darling retraced her steps and found Harris. He gladly handed over the ring. "It seemed like a miracle," Darling said. In turn, Darling and her husband have raised more than $154,000 for Harris.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week