On Feb. 22, Sarah Darling dumped the contents of her change purse into Billy Ray Harris' extended cup. Unfortunately, the Kansas City woman had stored her diamond ring in the change purse earlier that day, and it ended up in the homeless man's cup, too. The next day, a worried Darling retraced her steps and found Harris. He gladly handed over the ring. "It seemed like a miracle," Darling said. In turn, Darling and her husband have raised more than $154,000 for Harris.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
Subscribe to the Week