On Feb. 22, Sarah Darling dumped the contents of her change purse into Billy Ray Harris' extended cup. Unfortunately, the Kansas City woman had stored her diamond ring in the change purse earlier that day, and it ended up in the homeless man's cup, too. The next day, a worried Darling retraced her steps and found Harris. He gladly handed over the ring. "It seemed like a miracle," Darling said. In turn, Darling and her husband have raised more than $154,000 for Harris.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we gossip, according to science
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week