Robert Smith, 32, is known in Portland, Maine, as the Whistler, because he wanders the downtown all day, whistling loudly and irritating passersby. Police charged him with disorderly conduct, but after plea negotiations, Smith will be allowed to whistle as long as he doesn't stand in the same place. "All I'm doing is expressing myself freely," said Smith.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
Subscribe to the Week