Robert Smith, 32, is known in Portland, Maine, as the Whistler, because he wanders the downtown all day, whistling loudly and irritating passersby. Police charged him with disorderly conduct, but after plea negotiations, Smith will be allowed to whistle as long as he doesn't stand in the same place. "All I'm doing is expressing myself freely," said Smith.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
Subscribe to the Week