obert Smith, 32, is known in Portland, Maine, as the Whistler, because he wanders the downtown all day, whistling loudly and irritating passersby. Police charged him with disorderly conduct, but after plea negotiations, Smith will be allowed to whistle as long as he doesn't stand in the same place. "All I'm doing is expressing myself freely," said Smith.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
Subscribe to the Week