Robert Smith, 32, is known in Portland, Maine, as the Whistler, because he wanders the downtown all day, whistling loudly and irritating passersby. Police charged him with disorderly conduct, but after plea negotiations, Smith will be allowed to whistle as long as he doesn't stand in the same place. "All I'm doing is expressing myself freely," said Smith.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
Subscribe to the Week