obert Smith, 32, is known in Portland, Maine, as the Whistler, because he wanders the downtown all day, whistling loudly and irritating passersby. Police charged him with disorderly conduct, but after plea negotiations, Smith will be allowed to whistle as long as he doesn't stand in the same place. "All I'm doing is expressing myself freely," said Smith.
- The Black Death is back
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Did Paul Ryan just throw in the towel on 2016?
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
Subscribe to the Week