When Michael Julius Anton tried to trademark the phrase "Jesus Surfed," he ran into an awfully surprising roadblock, discovering that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office had already given Italian jeans maker Jesus Jeans a trademark on the word "Jesus." The Italian company says it doesn't object to churches putting "Jesus" on T-shirts, but that Jesus Jeans is willing to fight other clothing brands over "Jesus." No word yet on whether Christ himself is a fan of Jesus Jeans' denim goods.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week