Second-grader Josh Welch's creative eye may have gotten the best of him. On March 1, the 7-year-old Baltimore student was trying to sculpt his morning Pop-Tart into a mountain using his teeth marks, but when he was done, he said the pastry "turned out to be a gun kinda." When a nearby teacher heard the boy say "bang bang" and reported him to authorities, Welch was immediately sent home, his Pop-Tart confiscated, and he was suspended for two days. Officially, the school says the boy was suspended for using food "to make inappropriate gestures."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
Subscribe to the Week