econd-grader Josh Welch's creative eye may have gotten the best of him. On March 1, the 7-year-old Baltimore student was trying to sculpt his morning Pop-Tart into a mountain using his teeth marks, but when he was done, he said the pastry "turned out to be a gun kinda." When a nearby teacher heard the boy say "bang bang" and reported him to authorities, Welch was immediately sent home, his Pop-Tart confiscated, and he was suspended for two days. Officially, the school says the boy was suspended for using food "to make inappropriate gestures."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
Subscribe to the Week