mong brass instruments, the tuba is as big as you can go. But that didn't stop artisans in Germany from trying to make the big brother of the brass family even bigger. In 2010, 20 local artists from the town of Markneukirchen, which has a rich history in instrument manufacturing, crafted the world's largest functioning tuba — exactly double the dimensions of a normal tuba. And now, for the first time, the jumbo tuba will travel to Frankfurt for its public debut at the 2013 Music Trade Fair.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we need a maximum wage
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week