mong brass instruments, the tuba is as big as you can go. But that didn't stop artisans in Germany from trying to make the big brother of the brass family even bigger. In 2010, 20 local artists from the town of Markneukirchen, which has a rich history in instrument manufacturing, crafted the world's largest functioning tuba — exactly double the dimensions of a normal tuba. And now, for the first time, the jumbo tuba will travel to Frankfurt for its public debut at the 2013 Music Trade Fair.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week