Among brass instruments, the tuba is as big as you can go. But that didn't stop artisans in Germany from trying to make the big brother of the brass family even bigger. In 2010, 20 local artists from the town of Markneukirchen, which has a rich history in instrument manufacturing, crafted the world's largest functioning tuba — exactly double the dimensions of a normal tuba. And now, for the first time, the jumbo tuba will travel to Frankfurt for its public debut at the 2013 Music Trade Fair.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- What's wrong with Europe’s economy?
Subscribe to the Week