Among brass instruments, the tuba is as big as you can go. But that didn't stop artisans in Germany from trying to make the big brother of the brass family even bigger. In 2010, 20 local artists from the town of Markneukirchen, which has a rich history in instrument manufacturing, crafted the world's largest functioning tuba — exactly double the dimensions of a normal tuba. And now, for the first time, the jumbo tuba will travel to Frankfurt for its public debut at the 2013 Music Trade Fair.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to stop Black Thursday — and still score that big screen
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week