simple outdoorsman, widely hailed as the "Last American Man" thanks to his rustic approach to life, may be forced to vacate his campground home of 30 years due to building code violations. The Watauga County Planning Department in North Carolina is threatening to condemn the settlement of Eustace Conway, 51, unless he modernizes his outhouses, kitchens, and the wood used in several of his ramshackle structures.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: The Story of Film: An Odyssey
Subscribe to the Week