A simple outdoorsman, widely hailed as the "Last American Man" thanks to his rustic approach to life, may be forced to vacate his campground home of 30 years due to building code violations. The Watauga County Planning Department in North Carolina is threatening to condemn the settlement of Eustace Conway, 51, unless he modernizes his outhouses, kitchens, and the wood used in several of his ramshackle structures.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week