A simple outdoorsman, widely hailed as the "Last American Man" thanks to his rustic approach to life, may be forced to vacate his campground home of 30 years due to building code violations. The Watauga County Planning Department in North Carolina is threatening to condemn the settlement of Eustace Conway, 51, unless he modernizes his outhouses, kitchens, and the wood used in several of his ramshackle structures.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
Subscribe to the Week