A simple outdoorsman, widely hailed as the "Last American Man" thanks to his rustic approach to life, may be forced to vacate his campground home of 30 years due to building code violations. The Watauga County Planning Department in North Carolina is threatening to condemn the settlement of Eustace Conway, 51, unless he modernizes his outhouses, kitchens, and the wood used in several of his ramshackle structures.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What if The Purge was real?
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week