Neil Diamond's soft rock favorite "Sweet Caroline" has been playing during the eighth inning at Boston Red Sox home games since 2002 for no other reason than to "send sweetness over the Fenway speakers." After the horrid Boston Marathon bombings last week, the city has never needed positivity more. Which is why Diamond took a redeye flight from Los Angeles to Boston on Saturday for an impromptu Fenway performance to thank first responders and members of law enforcement. As a plus, the Red Sox won.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Congress' craven approach toward the war on ISIS
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
Subscribe to the Week