Neil Diamond's soft rock favorite "Sweet Caroline" has been playing during the eighth inning at Boston Red Sox home games since 2002 for no other reason than to "send sweetness over the Fenway speakers." After the horrid Boston Marathon bombings last week, the city has never needed positivity more. Which is why Diamond took a redeye flight from Los Angeles to Boston on Saturday for an impromptu Fenway performance to thank first responders and members of law enforcement. As a plus, the Red Sox won.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week