To avoid using diapers, eco-friendly New York City parents are training babies to poop and pee while they hold them over bowls and toilets. "Elimination communication" requires parents to study weeks-old babies' cues when they're about to go, and train them to go on command with a verbal sound such as "ssss." Not only are diapers saved, one parent said, Mom and Dad are "more in tune with what their kids' needs are."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Behind the newest attempt to get the Supreme Court to strike down affirmative action
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How to be charismatic, according to science
Subscribe to the Week