o avoid using diapers, eco-friendly New York City parents are training babies to poop and pee while they hold them over bowls and toilets. "Elimination communication" requires parents to study weeks-old babies' cues when they're about to go, and train them to go on command with a verbal sound such as "ssss." Not only are diapers saved, one parent said, Mom and Dad are "more in tune with what their kids' needs are."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
Subscribe to the Week