To avoid using diapers, eco-friendly New York City parents are training babies to poop and pee while they hold them over bowls and toilets. "Elimination communication" requires parents to study weeks-old babies' cues when they're about to go, and train them to go on command with a verbal sound such as "ssss." Not only are diapers saved, one parent said, Mom and Dad are "more in tune with what their kids' needs are."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
Subscribe to the Week