To avoid using diapers, eco-friendly New York City parents are training babies to poop and pee while they hold them over bowls and toilets. "Elimination communication" requires parents to study weeks-old babies' cues when they're about to go, and train them to go on command with a verbal sound such as "ssss." Not only are diapers saved, one parent said, Mom and Dad are "more in tune with what their kids' needs are."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
Subscribe to the Week