A Texas teacher invoked her own racism to dispute allegations that she fondled a black student. Teacher Irene Esther Stokes, who is white, denied the first-grader's accusation that she touched her private parts by claiming that she doesn't even like "touching black students on the hand." Stokes was fired.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week