Students at a Georgia high school held the school's first-ever integrated prom, but a large group of white parents refused to participate, staging their own, whites-only prom. Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal called the separate proms a "private issue" and said this was "not something state government needs to have its finger involved in."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- 12 holiday gifts for the hardest-to-shop-for people on your list
Subscribe to the Week