Students at a Georgia high school held the school's first-ever integrated prom, but a large group of white parents refused to participate, staging their own, whites-only prom. Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal called the separate proms a "private issue" and said this was "not something state government needs to have its finger involved in."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How to wrap a present with mathematical precision (and waste less paper)
When Americans banned Christmas
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How I lost all my money
- Why America would be foolish to wage a cyber-war against North Korea
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The foolish cruelty of Catholic conservatives who want gays to disappear
Subscribe to the Week