A California high school suspended 33 students and banned them from the prom for making a video demonstrating "twerking," a dance move that involves popping one's hips suggestively. "It was just expression," said one puzzled parent, "maybe overly expressive I guess."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
- How to live a long life, according to science
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
Subscribe to the Week