California native Jackie Rosas saved the life of a New Jersey teen after reading her suicidal Tumblr post. Rosas saw the blogger's threat and alerted police. The cops notified schools in the area to no avail. They found the 16-year-old blogger's Twitter account by matching the photo to her Tumblr. Police poured over her tweets, YouTube videos, and blog posts. They found a November tweet that mentioned the "UHS marching band" and matched it to a school in New Jersey. Police found her and took her to a medical facility. "It's an amazing feeling knowing you are able to help someone from thousands of miles away," said Rosas.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
Subscribe to the Week