Let dirty dishes collect in your dishwasher and you can predict the result: a buildup of bacteria that can unleash an awful smell every time you crack the machine's door. The new Klin-Tec UV-C Stick ($31) blasts away this annoyance by automatically bathing the dishwasher's insides with germ-killing UV light once every 24 hours. Because the device ends its 12-minute run time instantly if the door of the washer opens, you can just set it in a rack and forget it — at least until you're ready to run a wash cycle. This gadget is "unfortunately not waterproof."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- Briefing: Offshore drilling and the environment
Subscribe to the Week