et dirty dishes collect in your dishwasher and you can predict the result: a buildup of bacteria that can unleash an awful smell every time you crack the machine's door. The new Klin-Tec UV-C Stick ($31) blasts away this annoyance by automatically bathing the dishwasher's insides with germ-killing UV light once every 24 hours. Because the device ends its 12-minute run time instantly if the door of the washer opens, you can just set it in a rack and forget it — at least until you're ready to run a wash cycle. This gadget is "unfortunately not waterproof."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week