Let dirty dishes collect in your dishwasher and you can predict the result: a buildup of bacteria that can unleash an awful smell every time you crack the machine's door. The new Klin-Tec UV-C Stick ($31) blasts away this annoyance by automatically bathing the dishwasher's insides with germ-killing UV light once every 24 hours. Because the device ends its 12-minute run time instantly if the door of the washer opens, you can just set it in a rack and forget it — at least until you're ready to run a wash cycle. This gadget is "unfortunately not waterproof."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
Subscribe to the Week