A Virginia second-grader was suspended from school for pretending to be a Marine and making "gun noises" while pointing his pencil at another student. The father of 7-year-old Christopher Marshall thinks the school's zero-tolerance policy for weapons goes too far, but a school spokesman disagreed, calling a pencil "a weapon when it is pointed at someone in a threatening way and gun noises are made."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
Subscribe to the Week