Clinton Shepherd, park operations manager of Chicago's Navy Pier, spent 48 hours, 8 minutes and 25 seconds awake on a Ferris wheel. That shattered the previous record of 25 hours. Shepherd's secret? His Ferris wheel gondola had a big screen TV and Xbox Live on which Shepherd played Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and watched James Bond and Batman movies. He also drank a whole lot of Mountain Dew Kickstart to stay awake.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week