n an attempt to discourage violence, a California elementary school hosted a "toy-gun buyback," during which students could turn in their play weapons for a free book. "If we want older kids to not think guns are cool, we need to start early," the school's principal said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week