In an attempt to discourage violence, a California elementary school hosted a "toy-gun buyback," during which students could turn in their play weapons for a free book. "If we want older kids to not think guns are cool, we need to start early," the school's principal said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Why I choose not to be rich
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week