A Georgia middle school girl was kicked off her school's football team because her presence might trigger "lustful thoughts" in her teammates. Maddy Blythe, 12, said she was told she could not return to the Strong Rock Christian School's football team despite her strong play because the Bible discourages such gender mixing. Said Maddy, "It's like taking my dream and throwing it in the trash."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week