A Georgia middle school girl was kicked off her school's football team because her presence might trigger "lustful thoughts" in her teammates. Maddy Blythe, 12, said she was told she could not return to the Strong Rock Christian School's football team despite her strong play because the Bible discourages such gender mixing. Said Maddy, "It's like taking my dream and throwing it in the trash."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- A brief history of the Guy Fawkes mask
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why we gossip, according to science
Subscribe to the Week