A New York City police officer was reprimanded for speaking one sentence of Spanish while on duty. Jessenia Guzman said that when another officer said she was going to buy coffee, she responded in Spanish. Hours later, the NYPD reprimand her. "We should be speaking in one voice, which is English," said a spokeswoman.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- How to buy an engagement ring — a man's guide
- How science can help you survive scary movies
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
Subscribe to the Week