A New York City police officer was reprimanded for speaking one sentence of Spanish while on duty. Jessenia Guzman said that when another officer said she was going to buy coffee, she responded in Spanish. Hours later, the NYPD reprimand her. "We should be speaking in one voice, which is English," said a spokeswoman.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
- Uber, and the growing threat of corporate surveillance
Subscribe to the Week