Animal shelters in many U.S. cities are reporting a surge in the number of abandoned chickens. Tiffany Young, founder of a Seattle animal rescue group, says the problem is "hipster urban yuppie types" trying to raise poultry in their backyards — and giving up when they realize it’s hard work. "There is not a sanctuary in the Northwest that is not at capacity or beyond," said Young.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 5 deliciously creative oats recipes
Subscribe to the Week