nimal shelters in many U.S. cities are reporting a surge in the number of abandoned chickens. Tiffany Young, founder of a Seattle animal rescue group, says the problem is "hipster urban yuppie types" trying to raise poultry in their backyards — and giving up when they realize it’s hard work. "There is not a sanctuary in the Northwest that is not at capacity or beyond," said Young.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
Subscribe to the Week