Animal shelters in many U.S. cities are reporting a surge in the number of abandoned chickens. Tiffany Young, founder of a Seattle animal rescue group, says the problem is "hipster urban yuppie types" trying to raise poultry in their backyards — and giving up when they realize it’s hard work. "There is not a sanctuary in the Northwest that is not at capacity or beyond," said Young.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 10 burning questions you've always wanted to ask about investing
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: July 22, 2014
Subscribe to the Week