Animal shelters in many U.S. cities are reporting a surge in the number of abandoned chickens. Tiffany Young, founder of a Seattle animal rescue group, says the problem is "hipster urban yuppie types" trying to raise poultry in their backyards — and giving up when they realize it’s hard work. "There is not a sanctuary in the Northwest that is not at capacity or beyond," said Young.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- How to flirt, according to science
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
Subscribe to the Week