Jessica Mindich, owner of Jewelry for a Cause, "gives lethal weapons gorgeous second lives, says Oprah.com. For her Caliber Collection ($150 and up), she worked with Newark Mayor Cory Booker to develop the concept of using the brass and steel salvaged from guns seized and shell casings collected by the city's police. Mindich's team turns the metal into cast bracelets, cuffs, and cuff links, each embossed with a gun's serial number and the word "Newark." Mindich has pledged to donate a fifth of the proceeds to a gun buyback program, and she hopes to soon bring the concept to other high-crime cities.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The next pandemic
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
Subscribe to the Week