Jessica Mindich, owner of Jewelry for a Cause, "gives lethal weapons gorgeous second lives, says Oprah.com. For her Caliber Collection ($150 and up), she worked with Newark Mayor Cory Booker to develop the concept of using the brass and steel salvaged from guns seized and shell casings collected by the city's police. Mindich's team turns the metal into cast bracelets, cuffs, and cuff links, each embossed with a gun's serial number and the word "Newark." Mindich has pledged to donate a fifth of the proceeds to a gun buyback program, and she hopes to soon bring the concept to other high-crime cities.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- How to develop and defend smart opinions
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
Subscribe to the Week