Jessica Mindich, owner of Jewelry for a Cause, "gives lethal weapons gorgeous second lives, says Oprah.com. For her Caliber Collection ($150 and up), she worked with Newark Mayor Cory Booker to develop the concept of using the brass and steel salvaged from guns seized and shell casings collected by the city's police. Mindich's team turns the metal into cast bracelets, cuffs, and cuff links, each embossed with a gun's serial number and the word "Newark." Mindich has pledged to donate a fifth of the proceeds to a gun buyback program, and she hopes to soon bring the concept to other high-crime cities.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week