essica Mindich, owner of Jewelry for a Cause, "gives lethal weapons gorgeous second lives, says Oprah.com. For her Caliber Collection ($150 and up), she worked with Newark Mayor Cory Booker to develop the concept of using the brass and steel salvaged from guns seized and shell casings collected by the city's police. Mindich's team turns the metal into cast bracelets, cuffs, and cuff links, each embossed with a gun's serial number and the word "Newark." Mindich has pledged to donate a fifth of the proceeds to a gun buyback program, and she hopes to soon bring the concept to other high-crime cities.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- The secrets of happy families
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- What every TV show can learn from Sleepy Hollow
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- Is the rent really too damn high?
Subscribe to the Week