An Indiana school district says it wasted $300,000 last year because its students are rejecting the school's new healthy lunch program, which was designed by First Lady Michelle Obama. Students in the Carmel Clay district are dumping vegetables and fruit in the garbage, or skipping lunch altogether, said food service director Linda Wireman. "There are a lot of complaints they're going home hungry," Wireman said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week