An Indiana school district says it wasted $300,000 last year because its students are rejecting the school's new healthy lunch program, which was designed by First Lady Michelle Obama. Students in the Carmel Clay district are dumping vegetables and fruit in the garbage, or skipping lunch altogether, said food service director Linda Wireman. "There are a lot of complaints they're going home hungry," Wireman said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to make classic pulled pork
Subscribe to the Week