A Florida daycare teacher was fired for leaving her classroom to put out a fire. Michelle Hammack traced a burning smell to an oven fire in the kitchen, led her students outside, and extinguished the fire. Owner Olga Rozhaov then fired her. "I fired her because she left the room," Rozhaov explained.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
Subscribe to the Week