A Florida daycare teacher was fired for leaving her classroom to put out a fire. Michelle Hammack traced a burning smell to an oven fire in the kitchen, led her students outside, and extinguished the fire. Owner Olga Rozhaov then fired her. "I fired her because she left the room," Rozhaov explained.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Why insects are the future of food
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Behind the newest attempt to get the Supreme Court to strike down affirmative action
Subscribe to the Week