A Florida daycare teacher was fired for leaving her classroom to put out a fire. Michelle Hammack traced a burning smell to an oven fire in the kitchen, led her students outside, and extinguished the fire. Owner Olga Rozhaov then fired her. "I fired her because she left the room," Rozhaov explained.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
Subscribe to the Week