A gun giveaway sponsored by the New Jersey Second Amendment Society came under fire for raffling off an assault rifle that is illegal to own in the state. Anyone who registered their opposition to Gov. Chris Christie's gun-control bill was automatically entered in a lottery to win one of three guns, including the Sig Sauer M400 Enhanced rifle, which is illegal because it comes with a 30-round magazine. The group later pulled the gun from the raffle.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week