A New Jersey judge ruled that casino waitresses are "sex objects" who can be fired for gaining weight. Waitresses in the Borgata Hotel's "Babe" program sued over a rule requiring them to stay close to their hiring weight. But Judge Nelson Johnson said any woman hired as a "Babe" had voluntarily agreed to become "a sex object to the Borgata's patrons."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- The week's best photojournalism
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week