A New Jersey judge ruled that casino waitresses are "sex objects" who can be fired for gaining weight. Waitresses in the Borgata Hotel's "Babe" program sued over a rule requiring them to stay close to their hiring weight. But Judge Nelson Johnson said any woman hired as a "Babe" had voluntarily agreed to become "a sex object to the Borgata's patrons."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
- The world is on fire and neither Democrats or Republicans have a clue
- 8 of our favorite ridiculously long German words
Subscribe to the Week