Police in Raleigh, N.C., threatened to arrest local church members for serving food to the homeless and hungry in a local park. Members of Love Wins Ministries have been giving out free breakfast and coffee to anyone in need on weekends for the past six years, but, on August 24, Raleigh police suddenly threatened to arrest anybody who handed out food for the rather vague offense of violating a "city ordinance that prohibits the actions some groups have been engaged in at the park."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week