Police in Raleigh, N.C., threatened to arrest local church members for serving food to the homeless and hungry in a local park. Members of Love Wins Ministries have been giving out free breakfast and coffee to anyone in need on weekends for the past six years, but, on August 24, Raleigh police suddenly threatened to arrest anybody who handed out food for the rather vague offense of violating a "city ordinance that prohibits the actions some groups have been engaged in at the park."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Rise of the machines
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- It's time to kill school picture day
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week