Serving God as civic duty
A state senator openly chooses God over his constituents — and more in our collection of strange revelations about the nation
An Arkansas state senator told attendees at a banquet that his job is to serve God, and not his constituents. "There's only one vote that matters, and that's when I stand before the Lord at the judgment seat," said Arkansas state Sen. Jason Rapert.
Samantha Rollins is TheWeek.com's news editor. She has previously worked for The New York Times and TIME and is a graduate of Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How I lost all my money
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Ismail Kadare's 6 favorite books
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week