Schools in Pinellas County, Fla., are banning their own cheerleading uniforms from the classroom, claiming that the sleeveless tops and short skirts violate the dress code. Parents are blasting the district for hypocrisy. "Why can they wear them in front of thousands of people at a football field if they can't wear it on game day at school?" asked one parent of the district-issued uniforms.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
Subscribe to the Week