Schools in Pinellas County, Fla., are banning their own cheerleading uniforms from the classroom, claiming that the sleeveless tops and short skirts violate the dress code. Parents are blasting the district for hypocrisy. "Why can they wear them in front of thousands of people at a football field if they can't wear it on game day at school?" asked one parent of the district-issued uniforms.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week