A Nebraska man has sued Walmart for allegedly causing his wife's death by overfilling her shopping bag. William Freis says the cashier put two 42-ounce cans of La Choy and a 2-pound bag of rice in a plastic bag, which ripped open as his wife, Lynette, was carrying it. A falling La Choy can made a cut in her toe, which the lawsuit says became infected and "ultimately resulted in her death" 11 months later. Freis says Walmart should have taught workers to double-bag.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- How Hillary Clinton's 'smart power' turned Libya into a dumpster fire
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
- The world is on fire and neither Democrats or Republicans have a clue
Subscribe to the Week