A Nebraska man has sued Walmart for allegedly causing his wife's death by overfilling her shopping bag. William Freis says the cashier put two 42-ounce cans of La Choy and a 2-pound bag of rice in a plastic bag, which ripped open as his wife, Lynette, was carrying it. A falling La Choy can made a cut in her toe, which the lawsuit says became infected and "ultimately resulted in her death" 11 months later. Freis says Walmart should have taught workers to double-bag.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
Subscribe to the Week