The Coravin 1000 ($299) removes wine from a bottle without ever opening it. "No, this is not magic or osmosis at work," says Brian Krepshaw at CNET. The Coravin's secret weapon is a long, hollow needle that's inserted through the cork and allows wine to be poured without exposing the rest of the bottle's precious contents to oxidation. The needle pumps in argon — a harmless, tasteless gas — creating pressure that forces the wine up the needle and into the waiting glass. Remove the needle, and the cork "naturally heals itself," preserving the remaining wine indefinitely.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The girl who wouldn't die
- California's epic drought
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
Subscribe to the Week