he Coravin 1000 ($299) removes wine from a bottle without ever opening it. "No, this is not magic or osmosis at work," says Brian Krepshaw at CNET. The Coravin's secret weapon is a long, hollow needle that's inserted through the cork and allows wine to be poured without exposing the rest of the bottle's precious contents to oxidation. The needle pumps in argon — a harmless, tasteless gas — creating pressure that forces the wine up the needle and into the waiting glass. Remove the needle, and the cork "naturally heals itself," preserving the remaining wine indefinitely.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week