The Coravin 1000 ($299) removes wine from a bottle without ever opening it. "No, this is not magic or osmosis at work," says Brian Krepshaw at CNET. The Coravin's secret weapon is a long, hollow needle that's inserted through the cork and allows wine to be poured without exposing the rest of the bottle's precious contents to oxidation. The needle pumps in argon — a harmless, tasteless gas — creating pressure that forces the wine up the needle and into the waiting glass. Remove the needle, and the cork "naturally heals itself," preserving the remaining wine indefinitely.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- How I became a borderline hoarder
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
Subscribe to the Week