Hawaii woman was encouraged by local officials to shorten her name because it exceeded the number of characters that could fit on her state ID card. Janice Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele called the suggestion disrespectful to the Hawaiian people, as her last name has been passed down for several generations. She is urging the Department of Transportation to change its character limit to 40.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- How to flirt, according to science
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- How any actor (even a really nice one) can play a truly evil villain like King Joffrey
Subscribe to the Week