Hawaii woman was encouraged by local officials to shorten her name because it exceeded the number of characters that could fit on her state ID card. Janice Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele called the suggestion disrespectful to the Hawaiian people, as her last name has been passed down for several generations. She is urging the Department of Transportation to change its character limit to 40.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Time Warner Cable is raising your monthly rate again
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why is the 'mor' in 'Voldemort' so evil-sounding?
- True Detective's dangerous lies about satanic ritual abuse
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 2 proven ways to increase your willpower — courtesy of the Cookie Monster
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 10 things you need to know today: March 12, 2014
Subscribe to the Week