A Hawaii woman was encouraged by local officials to shorten her name because it exceeded the number of characters that could fit on her state ID card. Janice Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele called the suggestion disrespectful to the Hawaiian people, as her last name has been passed down for several generations. She is urging the Department of Transportation to change its character limit to 40.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What if The Purge was real?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
Subscribe to the Week