A wedding that wasn't to be got an inspired — and generous — revamp when Carol and Willie Fowler partnered with the Hosea Feed the Hungry organization. Their daughter Tamara wouldn't be walking down the aisle after all, but rather than let the accompanying (and already paid-for) four-course meal go to waste, the Fowlers invited more than 200 members of Atlanta's homeless population to enjoy the spread. Even Tamara attended the event: "She was also very delighted to see and know that others had an opportunity to enjoy something," Carol Fowler told Here & Now.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- How The Killing survived two cancellations and ended on its own terms
Subscribe to the Week