wedding that wasn't to be got an inspired — and generous — revamp when Carol and Willie Fowler partnered with the Hosea Feed the Hungry organization. Their daughter Tamara wouldn't be walking down the aisle after all, but rather than let the accompanying (and already paid-for) four-course meal go to waste, the Fowlers invited more than 200 members of Atlanta's homeless population to enjoy the spread. Even Tamara attended the event: "She was also very delighted to see and know that others had an opportunity to enjoy something," Carol Fowler told Here & Now.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week