A wedding that wasn't to be got an inspired — and generous — revamp when Carol and Willie Fowler partnered with the Hosea Feed the Hungry organization. Their daughter Tamara wouldn't be walking down the aisle after all, but rather than let the accompanying (and already paid-for) four-course meal go to waste, the Fowlers invited more than 200 members of Atlanta's homeless population to enjoy the spread. Even Tamara attended the event: "She was also very delighted to see and know that others had an opportunity to enjoy something," Carol Fowler told Here & Now.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week