A wedding that wasn't to be got an inspired — and generous — revamp when Carol and Willie Fowler partnered with the Hosea Feed the Hungry organization. Their daughter Tamara wouldn't be walking down the aisle after all, but rather than let the accompanying (and already paid-for) four-course meal go to waste, the Fowlers invited more than 200 members of Atlanta's homeless population to enjoy the spread. Even Tamara attended the event: "She was also very delighted to see and know that others had an opportunity to enjoy something," Carol Fowler told Here & Now.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- How collaborative innovation led to the experimental serum for Ebola
Subscribe to the Week