A wedding that wasn't to be got an inspired — and generous — revamp when Carol and Willie Fowler partnered with the Hosea Feed the Hungry organization. Their daughter Tamara wouldn't be walking down the aisle after all, but rather than let the accompanying (and already paid-for) four-course meal go to waste, the Fowlers invited more than 200 members of Atlanta's homeless population to enjoy the spread. Even Tamara attended the event: "She was also very delighted to see and know that others had an opportunity to enjoy something," Carol Fowler told Here & Now.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to stop Black Thursday — and still score that big screen
Subscribe to the Week