Big Freedia, "bounce connoisseur" and Fuse starlet, orchestrated a gathering in midtown Manhattan on Sept. 25 to set the record for the most number of people twerking in unison, SPIN reports. An official judge from Guinness presided over the ceremony, counting heads to see if the 250-twerker minimum was met and checking posture ("twerknique"). But the record is not free from scandal: RecordSetter notes that at least 1,945 attendees booty-shook at the 2013 Teen Choice Awards, and that's a conservative estimate — it was more like 3,333, founder Don Rollman tells The Daily Beast.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- You're reheating pizza wrong
Subscribe to the Week