Big Freedia, "bounce connoisseur" and Fuse starlet, orchestrated a gathering in midtown Manhattan on Sept. 25 to set the record for the most number of people twerking in unison, SPIN reports. An official judge from Guinness presided over the ceremony, counting heads to see if the 250-twerker minimum was met and checking posture ("twerknique"). But the record is not free from scandal: RecordSetter notes that at least 1,945 attendees booty-shook at the 2013 Teen Choice Awards, and that's a conservative estimate — it was more like 3,333, founder Don Rollman tells The Daily Beast.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to cook a perfect rib eye steak
Subscribe to the Week