Big Freedia, "bounce connoisseur" and Fuse starlet, orchestrated a gathering in midtown Manhattan on Sept. 25 to set the record for the most number of people twerking in unison, SPIN reports. An official judge from Guinness presided over the ceremony, counting heads to see if the 250-twerker minimum was met and checking posture ("twerknique"). But the record is not free from scandal: RecordSetter notes that at least 1,945 attendees booty-shook at the 2013 Teen Choice Awards, and that's a conservative estimate — it was more like 3,333, founder Don Rollman tells The Daily Beast.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week