Big Freedia, "bounce connoisseur" and Fuse starlet, orchestrated a gathering in midtown Manhattan on Sept. 25 to set the record for the most number of people twerking in unison, SPIN reports. An official judge from Guinness presided over the ceremony, counting heads to see if the 250-twerker minimum was met and checking posture ("twerknique"). But the record is not free from scandal: RecordSetter notes that at least 1,945 attendees booty-shook at the 2013 Teen Choice Awards, and that's a conservative estimate — it was more like 3,333, founder Don Rollman tells The Daily Beast.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week