Big Freedia, "bounce connoisseur" and Fuse starlet, orchestrated a gathering in midtown Manhattan on Sept. 25 to set the record for the most number of people twerking in unison, SPIN reports. An official judge from Guinness presided over the ceremony, counting heads to see if the 250-twerker minimum was met and checking posture ("twerknique"). But the record is not free from scandal: RecordSetter notes that at least 1,945 attendees booty-shook at the 2013 Teen Choice Awards, and that's a conservative estimate — it was more like 3,333, founder Don Rollman tells The Daily Beast.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week