Toni Christina Jenkins received a nasty surprise when she picked up the receipt a Red Lobster customer left at the table she was covering in Franklin, Tennessee. "None" was scrawled across the line denoting a tip, and the N-word glared up at her from the "total" line. So upset was the 19-year-old nursing student that she uploaded a photo of the receipt to Facebook. That's when Californian Matthew Hanson heard about the waitress’s experience and started an online fundraiser called "Tips for Toni.” The site raised more than $10,000, which Hanson presented to Jenkins as a check last month.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- The best books we read in 2014
- How I lost all my money
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week