Toni Christina Jenkins received a nasty surprise when she picked up the receipt a Red Lobster customer left at the table she was covering in Franklin, Tennessee. "None" was scrawled across the line denoting a tip, and the N-word glared up at her from the "total" line. So upset was the 19-year-old nursing student that she uploaded a photo of the receipt to Facebook. That's when Californian Matthew Hanson heard about the waitress’s experience and started an online fundraiser called "Tips for Toni.” The site raised more than $10,000, which Hanson presented to Jenkins as a check last month.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
Subscribe to the Week