Toni Christina Jenkins received a nasty surprise when she picked up the receipt a Red Lobster customer left at the table she was covering in Franklin, Tennessee. "None" was scrawled across the line denoting a tip, and the N-word glared up at her from the "total" line. So upset was the 19-year-old nursing student that she uploaded a photo of the receipt to Facebook. That's when Californian Matthew Hanson heard about the waitress’s experience and started an online fundraiser called "Tips for Toni.” The site raised more than $10,000, which Hanson presented to Jenkins as a check last month.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week