Toni Christina Jenkins received a nasty surprise when she picked up the receipt a Red Lobster customer left at the table she was covering in Franklin, Tennessee. "None" was scrawled across the line denoting a tip, and the N-word glared up at her from the "total" line. So upset was the 19-year-old nursing student that she uploaded a photo of the receipt to Facebook. That's when Californian Matthew Hanson heard about the waitress’s experience and started an online fundraiser called "Tips for Toni.” The site raised more than $10,000, which Hanson presented to Jenkins as a check last month.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
Subscribe to the Week