Toni Christina Jenkins received a nasty surprise when she picked up the receipt a Red Lobster customer left at the table she was covering in Franklin, Tennessee. "None" was scrawled across the line denoting a tip, and the N-word glared up at her from the "total" line. So upset was the 19-year-old nursing student that she uploaded a photo of the receipt to Facebook. That's when Californian Matthew Hanson heard about the waitress’s experience and started an online fundraiser called "Tips for Toni.” The site raised more than $10,000, which Hanson presented to Jenkins as a check last month.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week