Toni Christina Jenkins received a nasty surprise when she picked up the receipt a Red Lobster customer left at the table she was covering in Franklin, Tennessee. "None" was scrawled across the line denoting a tip, and the N-word glared up at her from the "total" line. So upset was the 19-year-old nursing student that she uploaded a photo of the receipt to Facebook. That's when Californian Matthew Hanson heard about the waitress’s experience and started an online fundraiser called "Tips for Toni.” The site raised more than $10,000, which Hanson presented to Jenkins as a check last month.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Confronting our twisted relationship with food
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- How ancient DNA is rewriting human history
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
Subscribe to the Week