Toni Christina Jenkins received a nasty surprise when she picked up the receipt a Red Lobster customer left at the table she was covering in Franklin, Tennessee. "None" was scrawled across the line denoting a tip, and the N-word glared up at her from the "total" line. So upset was the 19-year-old nursing student that she uploaded a photo of the receipt to Facebook. That's when Californian Matthew Hanson heard about the waitress’s experience and started an online fundraiser called "Tips for Toni.” The site raised more than $10,000, which Hanson presented to Jenkins as a check last month.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 deliciously garlicky dishes for summer
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week