A Texas man was jailed for failing to return a library book he checked out in 2010. Copperas Cove law allows police to arrest anyone who has not returned an overdue book within 90 days. "Nobody wants to get arrested over a library book," said Municipal Court Judge Bill Price. "[But] people that go to our library and can't have these materials, they're put out too."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
Subscribe to the Week