Texas man was jailed for failing to return a library book he checked out in 2010. Copperas Cove law allows police to arrest anyone who has not returned an overdue book within 90 days. "Nobody wants to get arrested over a library book," said Municipal Court Judge Bill Price. "[But] people that go to our library and can't have these materials, they're put out too."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week