A Texas man was jailed for failing to return a library book he checked out in 2010. Copperas Cove law allows police to arrest anyone who has not returned an overdue book within 90 days. "Nobody wants to get arrested over a library book," said Municipal Court Judge Bill Price. "[But] people that go to our library and can't have these materials, they're put out too."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week