A minority student group at the University of California, Los Angeles, is accusing a professor of racism for correcting grammar and punctuation in minority students' assignments. The group, Students of Color, says "the grammar 'lessons'" are acts of "micro-aggression" that have created "a hostile class climate." Professor Val Rust said he was just trying to help students, but conceded they "don't feel that is appropriate."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
When Americans banned Christmas
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
Subscribe to the Week