A minority student group at the University of California, Los Angeles, is accusing a professor of racism for correcting grammar and punctuation in minority students' assignments. The group, Students of Color, says "the grammar 'lessons'" are acts of "micro-aggression" that have created "a hostile class climate." Professor Val Rust said he was just trying to help students, but conceded they "don't feel that is appropriate."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
Subscribe to the Week