A Florida man has set up a legal shooting range in his backyard in a residential neighborhood. Doug Varrieur's neighbors in Big Pine Key have complained about the noise and fear stray bullets, but Sheriff Rick Ramsay says he was chagrined to find out that state law permits shooting practice on private property. "It's almost the Wild West again, when we go back to firing wherever you want," Ramsay said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week