A Florida man has set up a legal shooting range in his backyard in a residential neighborhood. Doug Varrieur's neighbors in Big Pine Key have complained about the noise and fear stray bullets, but Sheriff Rick Ramsay says he was chagrined to find out that state law permits shooting practice on private property. "It's almost the Wild West again, when we go back to firing wherever you want," Ramsay said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
Subscribe to the Week