A Florida man has set up a legal shooting range in his backyard in a residential neighborhood. Doug Varrieur's neighbors in Big Pine Key have complained about the noise and fear stray bullets, but Sheriff Rick Ramsay says he was chagrined to find out that state law permits shooting practice on private property. "It's almost the Wild West again, when we go back to firing wherever you want," Ramsay said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week