A Florida man has set up a legal shooting range in his backyard in a residential neighborhood. Doug Varrieur's neighbors in Big Pine Key have complained about the noise and fear stray bullets, but Sheriff Rick Ramsay says he was chagrined to find out that state law permits shooting practice on private property. "It's almost the Wild West again, when we go back to firing wherever you want," Ramsay said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
Subscribe to the Week