A Florida teacher was suspended for assigning explicit rap lyrics to her students as homework. The eighth-grade teacher printed out lyrics to Lil Wayne's "6 Foot 7 Foot," which feature racial slurs and sexual imagery, and asked students to underline examples of figurative language. Parents were outraged. "It's telling the kids it's okay to swear," said one.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Confessions of a hotel insider
- Surviving a plane crash
Subscribe to the Week