A Florida teacher was suspended for assigning explicit rap lyrics to her students as homework. The eighth-grade teacher printed out lyrics to Lil Wayne's "6 Foot 7 Foot," which feature racial slurs and sexual imagery, and asked students to underline examples of figurative language. Parents were outraged. "It's telling the kids it's okay to swear," said one.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 10 burning questions you've always wanted to ask about investing
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- What these custom, 3D-printed earphones say about the future of consumer technology
- 10 things you need to know today: July 22, 2014
Subscribe to the Week