A Florida teacher was suspended for assigning explicit rap lyrics to her students as homework. The eighth-grade teacher printed out lyrics to Lil Wayne's "6 Foot 7 Foot," which feature racial slurs and sexual imagery, and asked students to underline examples of figurative language. Parents were outraged. "It's telling the kids it's okay to swear," said one.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 10 things you need to know today: November 22, 2014
Subscribe to the Week