A Florida teacher was suspended for assigning explicit rap lyrics to her students as homework. The eighth-grade teacher printed out lyrics to Lil Wayne's "6 Foot 7 Foot," which feature racial slurs and sexual imagery, and asked students to underline examples of figurative language. Parents were outraged. "It's telling the kids it's okay to swear," said one.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- How ancient DNA is rewriting human history
- Confronting our twisted relationship with food
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
Subscribe to the Week