In an attempt to save taxpayers money, a Nevada county jail will charge inmates for their meals and doctor visits. "We are not the Hilton," said Sheriff Jim Pitts. "These guys shouldn't have a free ride." The ACLU calls the plan "cruel and unusual punishment," and may challenge it in court.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The next pandemic
Subscribe to the Week