In an attempt to save taxpayers money, a Nevada county jail will charge inmates for their meals and doctor visits. "We are not the Hilton," said Sheriff Jim Pitts. "These guys shouldn't have a free ride." The ACLU calls the plan "cruel and unusual punishment," and may challenge it in court.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week