In an attempt to save taxpayers money, a Nevada county jail will charge inmates for their meals and doctor visits. "We are not the Hilton," said Sheriff Jim Pitts. "These guys shouldn't have a free ride." The ACLU calls the plan "cruel and unusual punishment," and may challenge it in court.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The real story behind The Conjuring and four other horror movies 'based on a true story'
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
Subscribe to the Week