In an attempt to save taxpayers money, a Nevada county jail will charge inmates for their meals and doctor visits. "We are not the Hilton," said Sheriff Jim Pitts. "These guys shouldn't have a free ride." The ACLU calls the plan "cruel and unusual punishment," and may challenge it in court.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Why we gossip, according to science
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week