South Carolina man was falsely arrested and jailed for allegedly trafficking cocaine, after police discovered 1.5 pounds of powdered lime in his truck during a routine traffic stop. "I told them, 'That's lime. That's not cocaine. You can spread it out there on the ground,'" Lewis Thomas said. Thomas said officers were "so bent on me being a distributor" that they arrested him in spite of an inconclusive chemical test.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week