A South Carolina man was falsely arrested and jailed for allegedly trafficking cocaine, after police discovered 1.5 pounds of powdered lime in his truck during a routine traffic stop. "I told them, 'That's lime. That's not cocaine. You can spread it out there on the ground,'" Lewis Thomas said. Thomas said officers were "so bent on me being a distributor" that they arrested him in spite of an inconclusive chemical test.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week