A South Carolina man was falsely arrested and jailed for allegedly trafficking cocaine, after police discovered 1.5 pounds of powdered lime in his truck during a routine traffic stop. "I told them, 'That's lime. That's not cocaine. You can spread it out there on the ground,'" Lewis Thomas said. Thomas said officers were "so bent on me being a distributor" that they arrested him in spite of an inconclusive chemical test.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week