A new app called Spritz is promising to help readers gradually increase their pace — up to 1,000 words per minute — by stripping out "the inconvenience of scrolling, swiping, squinting, and pinching to read on your devices," said Angela Moscaritolo at PCMag. The app flashes words one at a time on a user's device, eliminating time-consuming eye movement and allowing "the brain to focus on each word, promoting faster reading and higher information retention." Spritz will debut the mobile app on Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S5 smartphone and Gear 2 smartwatch (an iOS version is planned, too).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 10 things you need to know today: July 29, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week