A new app called Spritz is promising to help readers gradually increase their pace — up to 1,000 words per minute — by stripping out "the inconvenience of scrolling, swiping, squinting, and pinching to read on your devices," said Angela Moscaritolo at PCMag. The app flashes words one at a time on a user's device, eliminating time-consuming eye movement and allowing "the brain to focus on each word, promoting faster reading and higher information retention." Spritz will debut the mobile app on Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S5 smartphone and Gear 2 smartwatch (an iOS version is planned, too).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
Subscribe to the Week