A new app called Spritz is promising to help readers gradually increase their pace — up to 1,000 words per minute — by stripping out "the inconvenience of scrolling, swiping, squinting, and pinching to read on your devices," said Angela Moscaritolo at PCMag. The app flashes words one at a time on a user's device, eliminating time-consuming eye movement and allowing "the brain to focus on each word, promoting faster reading and higher information retention." Spritz will debut the mobile app on Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S5 smartphone and Gear 2 smartwatch (an iOS version is planned, too).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week