A new app called Spritz is promising to help readers gradually increase their pace — up to 1,000 words per minute — by stripping out "the inconvenience of scrolling, swiping, squinting, and pinching to read on your devices," said Angela Moscaritolo at PCMag. The app flashes words one at a time on a user's device, eliminating time-consuming eye movement and allowing "the brain to focus on each word, promoting faster reading and higher information retention." Spritz will debut the mobile app on Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S5 smartphone and Gear 2 smartwatch (an iOS version is planned, too).
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- Israel has the right to defend itself. What about the Palestinians?
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
Subscribe to the Week