A Colorado man who was rescued from his overturned car during a flood last year is suing the first responders who saved his life. Roy Ortiz, who was trapped in floodwaters for two hours before divers freed him, says rescuers should have gotten to him sooner. "I'm really happy to be alive," said Ortiz, "but I'm looking for some help in paying my bills." He wants $500,000 for his injuries and "emotional distress."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week