A Colorado man who was rescued from his overturned car during a flood last year is suing the first responders who saved his life. Roy Ortiz, who was trapped in floodwaters for two hours before divers freed him, says rescuers should have gotten to him sooner. "I'm really happy to be alive," said Ortiz, "but I'm looking for some help in paying my bills." He wants $500,000 for his injuries and "emotional distress."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
When Americans banned Christmas
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The rape culture that everyone ignores
- The liberation of Barack Obama
Subscribe to the Week