Detroit officials have proposed raising fines for parking violations, after realizing that it costs the bankrupt city $32 to process a $30 ticket. To raise revenues, the city also wants to repair or replace most of its 3,404 parking meters, half of which don't work at any given time.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- What if The Purge was real?
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
Subscribe to the Week