The startup Orange Chef has developed the Prep Pad, a "smart food scale" that pairs with an iPad app to help you learn more about the nutritional content of food. You place your ingredients on the scale and type a description on the iPad and the tablet then "mines a database of 250,000 foods to provide details of its nutrients and calories," said Laura Baverman at USA Today. Prep Pad also syncs with another Orange Chef offering, called Countertop, to make sense of all the data and allow users to track and improve their eating habits.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
Subscribe to the Week