The startup Orange Chef has developed the Prep Pad, a "smart food scale" that pairs with an iPad app to help you learn more about the nutritional content of food. You place your ingredients on the scale and type a description on the iPad and the tablet then "mines a database of 250,000 foods to provide details of its nutrients and calories," said Laura Baverman at USA Today. Prep Pad also syncs with another Orange Chef offering, called Countertop, to make sense of all the data and allow users to track and improve their eating habits.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
Subscribe to the Week