The startup Orange Chef has developed the Prep Pad, a "smart food scale" that pairs with an iPad app to help you learn more about the nutritional content of food. You place your ingredients on the scale and type a description on the iPad and the tablet then "mines a database of 250,000 foods to provide details of its nutrients and calories," said Laura Baverman at USA Today. Prep Pad also syncs with another Orange Chef offering, called Countertop, to make sense of all the data and allow users to track and improve their eating habits.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- As deadly skin cancer rates keep climbing, surgeon general says to stop tanning and wear sunscreen
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
Subscribe to the Week