The startup Orange Chef has developed the Prep Pad, a "smart food scale" that pairs with an iPad app to help you learn more about the nutritional content of food. You place your ingredients on the scale and type a description on the iPad and the tablet then "mines a database of 250,000 foods to provide details of its nutrients and calories," said Laura Baverman at USA Today. Prep Pad also syncs with another Orange Chef offering, called Countertop, to make sense of all the data and allow users to track and improve their eating habits.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Rise of the machines
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Uncle Sam wants you to stay away from these countries
- Why the rise of cosplay is a bad sign for the U.S. economy
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week