Tired of listening to friends who are a bit too proud of having made their own beer? The Clawhammer Supply Moonshine Kit (from $149) is your chance to show them up. Their hobby arguably requires some chemistry smarts; "yours takes chemical and mechanical prowess" — because these stills don't exactly build themselves. Fortunately, Clawhammer's website walks customers through the entire process, from construction to legal considerations to finally distilling your first batch of hootch. To get started, "all you need is a plumbing torch, soldering tools, and a free afternoon."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week