Four Danish men have invented "an environmentally friendly and altogether awesome alternative to your humble Igloo," said Adam Clark Estes at Gizmodo. The eCool ($369) is a beverage-storage system that makes use of the ground's natural coolness to chill up to two dozen 12-ounce beers or sodas. The cans are lowered by a vertical conveyor and pulled back up to a handy surface-level dispenser. "There's no electricity, no ice, and no mess involved — unless you consider the initial installation, which requires a shovel or a garden drill."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why insects are the future of food
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The super-rich are just as miserable as the rest of us
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 8 logo revisions that had people howling
Subscribe to the Week