Four Danish men have invented "an environmentally friendly and altogether awesome alternative to your humble Igloo," said Adam Clark Estes at Gizmodo. The eCool ($369) is a beverage-storage system that makes use of the ground's natural coolness to chill up to two dozen 12-ounce beers or sodas. The cans are lowered by a vertical conveyor and pulled back up to a handy surface-level dispenser. "There's no electricity, no ice, and no mess involved — unless you consider the initial installation, which requires a shovel or a garden drill."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
Subscribe to the Week