Four Danish men have invented "an environmentally friendly and altogether awesome alternative to your humble Igloo," said Adam Clark Estes at Gizmodo. The eCool ($369) is a beverage-storage system that makes use of the ground's natural coolness to chill up to two dozen 12-ounce beers or sodas. The cans are lowered by a vertical conveyor and pulled back up to a handy surface-level dispenser. "There's no electricity, no ice, and no mess involved — unless you consider the initial installation, which requires a shovel or a garden drill."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- What big data can tell us about the things we eat
Subscribe to the Week