Four Danish men have invented "an environmentally friendly and altogether awesome alternative to your humble Igloo," said Adam Clark Estes at Gizmodo. The eCool ($369) is a beverage-storage system that makes use of the ground's natural coolness to chill up to two dozen 12-ounce beers or sodas. The cans are lowered by a vertical conveyor and pulled back up to a handy surface-level dispenser. "There's no electricity, no ice, and no mess involved — unless you consider the initial installation, which requires a shovel or a garden drill."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The week's best photojournalism
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
Subscribe to the Week