This stockpot was designed by a rocket scientist. Literally. Tom Povey, an Oxford engineering professor who designs rocket engines, decided cookware could use a performance tweak when he was struggling to boil water while mountaineering. His Flare pans (from $85) solve the problem with aerodynamic fins that channel heat up the sides, making them 30 percent more efficient than standard pans, said Belinda Lanks at Bloomberg Businessweek. A three-piece set costs $256, but Povey argues that his pans pay for themselves by saving time and energy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
Subscribe to the Week