This stockpot was designed by a rocket scientist. Literally. Tom Povey, an Oxford engineering professor who designs rocket engines, decided cookware could use a performance tweak when he was struggling to boil water while mountaineering. His Flare pans (from $85) solve the problem with aerodynamic fins that channel heat up the sides, making them 30 percent more efficient than standard pans, said Belinda Lanks at Bloomberg Businessweek. A three-piece set costs $256, but Povey argues that his pans pay for themselves by saving time and energy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week