This stockpot was designed by a rocket scientist. Literally. Tom Povey, an Oxford engineering professor who designs rocket engines, decided cookware could use a performance tweak when he was struggling to boil water while mountaineering. His Flare pans (from $85) solve the problem with aerodynamic fins that channel heat up the sides, making them 30 percent more efficient than standard pans, said Belinda Lanks at Bloomberg Businessweek. A three-piece set costs $256, but Povey argues that his pans pay for themselves by saving time and energy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The week's best photojournalism
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
Subscribe to the Week