This stockpot was designed by a rocket scientist. Literally. Tom Povey, an Oxford engineering professor who designs rocket engines, decided cookware could use a performance tweak when he was struggling to boil water while mountaineering. His Flare pans (from $85) solve the problem with aerodynamic fins that channel heat up the sides, making them 30 percent more efficient than standard pans, said Belinda Lanks at Bloomberg Businessweek. A three-piece set costs $256, but Povey argues that his pans pay for themselves by saving time and energy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Israel's quiet doomsday submarines are almost ready
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
Subscribe to the Week