This stockpot was designed by a rocket scientist. Literally. Tom Povey, an Oxford engineering professor who designs rocket engines, decided cookware could use a performance tweak when he was struggling to boil water while mountaineering. His Flare pans (from $85) solve the problem with aerodynamic fins that channel heat up the sides, making them 30 percent more efficient than standard pans, said Belinda Lanks at Bloomberg Businessweek. A three-piece set costs $256, but Povey argues that his pans pay for themselves by saving time and energy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week